Friday, October 23, 2009

Here I am...

So here I am. I’m 24, with no degree, no job and no work experience. I have one child, an amazing 3 year old girl whose independence shocks and amazes me while making me the proudest mother around, and yet, here I sit with nothing more to show for my life than a big clean house (for sale by the way) and my beautiful daughter.

This blog will follow my journey from my current position of stay at home (terrified-of-the-real-world) wife and mother to fully fledged working wife and mother. Over the last 4 years I have obtained my 2 year Associate’s Degree in English Literature through online classes in my spare time. Over the next TWO years I hope to obtain my Bachelor’s degree in English Lit. After that, I hope to find joy in teaching until my husband is out of the Marines (7 years from now!) when I might have a stable lifestyle and finally be able to follow some of my previous dreams.

As things stand right now, we are leaving in 3 months for San Diego, California where we will hopefully have a successful 3 years. We have spent the last 3 years in Pensacola, Florida, finishing school, raising a daughter and coping with married life. Married life is not all it’s cracked up to be. Children are not the joy of life without effort – they are hard work and draining on your patience, smiles and love…. But they are worth it.

On a personal level, I am a UK citizen living in the USA as a naturalized US citizen. Convoluted eh? I am UK born, but I paid some god-awful sum to become naturalized as a citizen, here in the USA. I did it so that ultimately, my parents and possibly brothers could eventually move and live here and be near me and my daughter, however, that goal seems so far off, it hardly seems worth it. I used to be smart and clever and funny… now, I’m not so sure. I feel I am massively out of place here in the military community and in the USA in general. Yet another aspect for me to explore over the coming months of my blogging experiment…

No comments:

Post a Comment